NSW Compensation Guide | Injury Claims, Liability Compensation, WorkCover, Motor Accident Claims

Injury Claims, Injury Compensation, Loss Of Earnings, Medical Expenses, Pain and Suffering, Treatment cover, Permanent Impairment, Shortened Working Life, Time Off Work, Unable To Work, Permanent Injury, Psychological Injury, Motor Vehicle Compensation, Road And Traffic Incident Claims, Work Injury Claims, Liability Compensation Claims, Work Cover, Public and Private Liability, Lawyers, Law, Law Suit, Injury At Work, Sydney, Newcastle, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Parramatta, Liverpool, NSW, QLD, Australia

A Step By Step Guide On What To Do After A Road Accident In NSW

A Step By Step Guide On What To Do After A Road Accident In NSW

In order to make a successful compensation claim to cover the cost of your injuries, it’s important to carefully take steps towards gathering evidence as soon as the accident occurs. From seeking medical attention to filing a police report, read on to understand your responsibilities after a road accident in order for successful compensation.

Injury Compensation Claim, Road Accident, Car Accident Compo, Bicycle, Motorcycle, Parramatta, Liverpool, Newtown, Ultimo, Hurstville, Callaghan, Maryland, Elermore Vale, Kooragang

After a road accident, it’s easy to become overwhelmed and stressed out, especially if there has been a serious injury. For some victims this stress lasts for a long while after the accident and can affect their day to day life. While it’s not uncommon to feel this way after an accident, it’s important to follow 7 important steps in order to receive the accident compensation that you are entitled to.

Seek Medical Attention As Soon As Possible

Your main concern should be your health and wellbeing, so the first thing to do after a road accident is to seek medical attention and undergo any recommended treatments to restore your injuries. Even if you don’t feel as though you were injured, go and see your doctor. You may have suffered an injury that will appear later due to the accident, in order to claim that these injuries in your compensation claim, it’s important to get record of these potential injuries. Request all medical certificates for your records, as they will be vital in your injury claim if you choose to make one.

Record The Other Parties Details

You should take down the other parties licence plate number as soon as the accident takes place. Once you have that, request the driver’s third party insurance information, which they are legally obliged in NSW to have if they are on the road. If they refuse to give you this information or you are unable to gather it from them due to injury, you can seek assistance from the police or the MAA (Motor Accidents Authority).

File A Police Report

You should report the accident to police as soon as you possibly can to ensure that all the details and accurate and to avoid future complications. If you wait longer than 28 days, you will have to justify your reasoning when making a compensation claim, which may hinder your chances of success. After you have filed your police report, request a police event number which will allow you to easily reference your case.

Attorneys, Solicitors, Injury Compensation, Car Accident, Road Crash, Traffic, Public LiabilityPenrith, Bondi, Mascot, Maroubra, Chatswood, Hexham, Fletcher, Wallsend, Kotara, Maitland

Find Legal Representation

If you are planning on making a car accident claim, then the next few steps are vital. Compensation is a confusing area of law and certain steps must be taken in order for claims to be considered. A defining factor of your claim is your legal representation. Most importantly, it’s important to find a lawyer who has specific experience with car accident injury claims.

You generally have one chance to claim compensation after an accident and after the claim has been finalised you are usually not given another chance. For this reason, it’s important to find the right lawyer to begin with. One who experiences, has proven results and will fight for the best payout possible.

Are You Eligible To Make A Claim?

Every driver in Australia must be covered by CTP (Compulsory Third Party) insurance which covers the injuries and damages of other parties if an accident is to occur. Because of this legal requirement, all victims of injury in a road accident are eligible to claim compensation. These claims can be made directly against the third pary insurance provider of the negligent party.
If you are successful with your injury claim, you can receive compensation for the following:

  • Loss of earnings or the ability to earn money in the future
  • Medical costs whether short term or long term – including hospital bills
  • Repair or replacement of your vehicle
  • Carer fees and Home Modification costs
  • On-going suffering and pain

Accident Notification Claim

This initial claim has to be made through the third party insurance provider of the negligent driver within 28 days of the road accident. You can claim up to $5,000 of expenses in this claim that incurred in the 6 months after the accident.

Personal Injury Claim

This follow up claim is also to be made through the third party provider of the negligent driver, within 6 months of the accident. This claim is for when you are seeking expenses greater than $5,00 and expecting a recovery period of longer than 6 months.

Bottom Of Page CTA - Injury

Contact A Injury Claims Lawyer

Contact a lawyer today, the NSW Compensation Guide has a number of great lawyer suggestions that work on a no win, no fee policy, so if you don’t win, you don’t pay. Get in contact with a lawyer today and get the expert advice and consultation you need before proceeding with a serious injuries claim. Find a lawyer